CV Lies: Is It Illegal To Lie On Your CV?
THE ANSWER IS YES!!!!! CV LIES ARE ILLEGAL.
The Fraud Act 2006 states ‘A person is in breach of this section if he dishonestly makes a false representation, and intends, by making the representation to make a gain for himself or another, or to cause loss to another’
Question: So what exactly makes a lie on a CV fraud?
Answer: ‘A representation is false if it is untrue or misleading, and the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.’
When you lie about your employment history, you’re aiming to secure yourself a job and stop other candidates getting that same job, which is illegal.
And you can’t claim ignorance of lying either. Trying to cover up by saying you accidentally wrote down the wrong date or position won’t wash and you could find yourself in very hot water.
Why is it important to tell the truth on your CV?
- The CV that you submit is the employer’s / recruiters first impression of you and so it needs to really sell you, but more importantly the content must be a truthful reflection of your experience, skills and qualifications. When it comes to people lying on their CV, those who do lie – or embellish the truth – are very likely to be found out through the pre-screening process.
- Lying on your CV is now seen as part of the wider crime of application fraud, for which there can be serious consequences so please pay attention to what you submit to a potential employer / recruiter you will be disqualified from the process as a result.
- Lying on your CV can quickly be identified by a specialised recruiter like ourselves, if we come across this we will immediately terminate our relationship with you and you will be automatically be blacklisted from Daly Recruitment.We take pride in the calibre of candidates we represent within the market and we build our relationships based on professionalism and trust – its essential this works both ways.
If you are found to be lying by Daly Recruitment, your application will be immediately withdrawn, you will be blacklisted, and you could face being reported to bodies such as CIFAS, a comprehensive store of data relating to fraud.
PLEASE NOTE WE TAKE THIS EXTREMELY SERIOUSLY. DON'T RISK IT, THE CHANCES ARE WITH OUR EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE WE CAN IDENTIFY IT VERY QUICKLY.
- Suspecting you’ve lied on your CV is grounds for dismissal.
- What’s more, you’ll struggle to find future employment once you’ve been let go for lying on your CV.
- You stand to risk your professional career.
- Think of the overall impact that will have on you and those around you… Is it worth it?
THE COMPANY CAN ALSO TAKE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST YOU. ALWAYS BE HONEST ON A CV FOR 1.YOUR OWN PROFESSIONALISM 2.TO REMAIN WITHIN THE LAW.